Mazda is fulfilling its responsibilities as a good corporate citizen through ongoing involvement in socially beneficial activities tailored to the needs of local communities.
As a company engaged in global business, Mazda is fulfilling its responsibilities as a good corporate citizen through ongoing involvement in socially beneficial activities tailored to the needs of local communities, in order to ensure that its business activities contribute to the building of a sustainable society.
- Proactive, ongoing responses to social needs through the core business activities of the Mazda Group in Japan and overseas
- In collaboration with local communities, contribute to the development of a sustainable society through activities tailored to the needs of communities
- Emphasize and provide support for self-motivated volunteer activities by employees, and incorporate diverse values to foster a flexible and vibrant corporate climate
- Proactively disclose the details of activities and engage in a dialogue with society
Mazda promotes activities that are strongly rooted in local communities. Its social contribution activities are underpinned by the three pillars of environmental and safety performance, human resources development, and community contributions.
I am in charge of planning and organizing the Community Category of the Mazda Ekiden Road Relay Race, which uses a route mapped out across the grounds of the Company's Hiroshima Plant. When it commenced in 1966, the race was an event only for employees. Since 1981, we have invited participants from outside the Company as well. The race has been well-received by the outside participants, with some commenting, "It is interesting to run on the plant premises that we are not usually allowed to enter." To ensure that many people can enjoy the event, the route is broken down into relatively short legs. However, there is a tough leg with a steep bridge, and we place the top priority on safety in hosting the race. Mazda considers this Ekiden Road Relay Race as an important opportunity to promote interaction with local residents. We will continue this event to help make many more people feel closer to Mazda.
In May 2010, Mazda established the Social Contribution Committee.
The role of this committee, which meets regularly (twice a year), is to discuss issues facing the entire Mazda Group and share information, based on the policy decided by the CSR Management Strategy Committee. The details of actual activities are considered by a Working Group comprised of related divisions. Through the activities of the committee undertaken since 2010, Mazda continues to enhance information collection and utilization from a global and Group standpoint. Specific activities are carried out based on the budget plan at each region or department*1.
At the meeting held on June 10, 2013, the Social Contribution Committee agreed to set up the following targets based on "6.8 Community Involvement and Development" of the seven core subjects defined in ISO 26000; Corporate Citizenship activities, Contribution to the realization of a sustainable society.
- *1In Japan, the United States, Australia, New Zealand, and Colombia, the Mazda Foundation in each country separately undertakes various activities.
Mazda offers support to help employees become actively involved in volunteer activities.
- Providing volunteer opportunities (Specialist Bank, Volunteer Center, etc.)
- Providing volunteer training opportunities (training programs organized by the Hiroshima City Council of Social Welfare, etc.)
- Subsidizing part of the cost of activities (Mazda Flex Benefits, etc.)
- Enabling employees to take leave for activities (volunteer leave such as the Special Warm Heart leave system, etc.)