Mazda recognizes the importance of biodiversity. Mazda is working to protect ecosystems through a wide variety of measures.
Endorsing the aims of the "Declaration of Biodiversity by Nippon Keidanren (the Japan Business Federation)," Mazda promotes initiatives to protect the global environment. In FY March 2012, with the aim of systematically developing its initiatives to protect biodiversity, Mazda conducted an assessment of impacts on biodiversity, and recognized the blessings of nature it receives and the significance of the impacts on ecosystems it gives through business activities. Based on this assessment, the Company established the Mazda Biodiversity Guidelines in December 2012 and has been implementing relevant initiatives.
Based on "The Mazda Global Environmental Charter", the Mazda Group, recognizing the blessings of nature and the significance of environmental impacts, contributes to the conservation of biodiversity through its corporate activities worldwide, with the aim of establishing and developing a rich, sustainable society that ensures harmony between people and nature.
- Creation of Environmentally Sound Technologies and Products
We will encourage the creation of technologies and products considering harmony between the environment and our corporate activities, by developing technologies that contribute to cleaner emission gases, reduction of CO2 emissions, research and development of clean energy-based vehicles, promotion of recycling and biodiversity.
- Corporate Activities in Consideration of Conserving Resources and Energy
We will promote reduction of substances with environmental impact and effective use of resources, and contribute to conservation of biodiversity, through efficient energy use and resource-saving/recycling activities.
- Collaboration/Cooperation with Society and Local Communities
We will promote local community-based activities, by striving to establish collaboration/cooperation with a wide range of stakeholders including supply chains, local governments, communities, NPOs/NGOs, and education and research institutions.
- Awareness Enhancement and Information Disclosure
We will take active and self-initiative actions and disclose and share the achievements widely to society, by striving to enhance awareness of the importance of coexistence between people and nature.
Established in December 2012
To maximize its contribution to conservation of biodiversity, Mazda is undertaking development of technologies with less environmental impact by improving fuel efficiency with the SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY and promoting vehicle recycling.
- Resource Recyclling
- Actions Against Air Quality Problems
- Ongoing examination of the structures and functions of living things (example: drawing on structures that generate color in insects' wings to develop vehicle painting technologies)
Mazda aims to reduce substances with environmental impacts such as greenhouse gases, industrial waste and chemical substances through energy-saving, resource-saving and recycling efforts at plants and offices, and promote sustainable activities.
- Water Quality Protection
- Actions Against Air Quality Problems
Rare Species Protection
- Considering for biodiversity on construction of new plants
Through activities it has conducted in cooperation with society or local communities, Mazda will promote conservation of biodiversity.
- Forest protection
- Support for regional forest protection activities (Mazda-no-Mori, Hiroshima-no-Morizukuri Forum) (Hiroshima, Japan)
- "Water-Supply Forest Development in Collaboration with Corporations" program (Yamaguchi, Japan)
- Greening activities in collaboration with communities (Kanagawa, Japan)
- Support for citizen activism through Mazda Foundation (Hiroshima, Japan)
- Water resource protection by keeping rainwater (Mexico)
- Mangrove planting (Thailand)
- Treemendous School Makeovers Project for a native tree planting (New Zealand)
Recognizing the importance of biodiversity, Mazda will take proactive and voluntary actions and disclose and share its achievements widely to society to encourage their sharing.
- Awareness-Raising Activities
- Education related to consideration to biodiversity provided for employees.
- Environmental education focused on biology as part of "Science is Fun" joint projects between the Mazda Foundation and Hiroshima University and "Inspiring School Michikusa" joint program between the Mazda Foundation and the Hiroshima City of the Future Foundation.
- Information Disclosure