Personal information and other important information are appropriately managed and protected based on the established information management policies and internal regulations, so as to ensure information security.
To raise employees' awareness about information security, Mazda requires its employees to execute training on the management of confidential information, protection of personal information, and IT security upon newly joining the Company. Management of confidential information is covered in the introduction program, while e-learning is used for personal information protection and IT security training. Other continuous education efforts are also available, including an Intranet site dedicated to information and knowledge on information security.
For companies in the Mazda Group, Mazda provides guidelines and educational tools regarding information security, realizing a group-wide effort to ensure information security.
The IT security policy based on the BS 7799*1 framework has been established as IT security management rules, under which the mechanisms for security control and monitoring that should be incorporated into IT systems are determined. Whether such mechanisms are properly installed and operated is confirmed on both a regular and random basis.
- *1Standards on information security management established by the British Standards Institution (BSI), on which ISO/IEC27001 & 27002, the current international standards for information security management, are based.
Mazda rigorously protects personal information in line with its own Personal Information Protection Policy.
Handling rules are set out in order to ensure appropriate management of personal information, regular examination of management records for retained personal data is taken, and management statuses are checked once a year. In cases in which the handling of personal information is entrusted to outside parties, such contractors are carefully selected based on a checklist which determined the necessary items including security management. The Mazda Call Center responds to customers who wish to inquire about the Company's handling of personal information and those who request disclosure regarding privacy issues.
Personal Information Protection Policy
The Company endeavors to adequately protect the personal information of its customers, business partners, employees and other parties in accordance with laws and regulations on the protection of personal information and the basic guidelines described below.
- Mazda shall establish Regulations for the Protection of Personal Information, to be adhered to by all parties that handle personal information.
- Mazda shall put in place a presiding supervisor for the management of personal information, and provide corresponding educational activities for its employees (directors, employees, part-time workers, temporary agency workers, etc.) and other related persons.
- Mazda shall acquire personal information through appropriate means. When collecting personal information, Mazda shall either inform that person of the purposes of use and its contact address, or announce such information by a well-recognized method or methods (such as through a website).
- At Mazda, personal information shall only be utilized by those who have been authorized to manage such data, to the extent disclosed to the parties concerned or publicly announced, and within the scope necessary.
- Mazda shall take all necessary measures required by law, including obtaining consent from the relevant party, for the provision of such personal information to a third party.
- If Mazda assigns a third party to any business relating to personal information, the Company shall make an appropriate selection of the assignee for such business, and take all necessary measures required by law, such as conducting necessary and adequate supervision.
- If Mazda receives any claim for disclosure, correction, suspension, or elimination of all or any part of the personal information retained by the Company, Mazda shall react appropriately in accordance with laws after the Company confirms that said claim was made by the relevant party.
- Mazda shall ensure reasonable security measures, and continuously improve such measures to prevent illegal access, loss, destruction, falsification, and/or leakage of personal information.
Mazda's overall vision for intellectual property is to use intellectual property as a management resource in support of its business management and enterprise activities, based on respect for its own and others' intellectual property.
Based on this vision, Mazda has established an Intellectual Property Committee, comprising division general managers from related divisions and chaired by an executive officer responsible for intellectual property issues.
Also, the invention incentive system is increasing motivation for inventions among employees working at the forefront of research and development.
Mazda's dedicated Intellectual Property Department leads Company activities regarding intellectual properties so as not to infringe upon the intellectual property rights of other companies, and conducts strategic activities aimed at fiercely protecting, accumulating, and making optimal use of the intellectual properties generated through these in-house activities.
In order to clearly convey a relevant code of conduct to all employees and guide their behavior, the Mazda Corporate Ethics Code of Conduct stipulates "Protect confidential information. Never infringe on any intellectual property rights, whether belonging to Mazda or another party."
The Intellectual Property Department is responsible for the overall management of intellectual property, and also regularly conducts awareness-raising activities to instill respect for intellectual property law.
- Exhaustively uncovers and globally obtains rights concerning intellectual properties created by its business activities, including new technologies, markings, model names and vehicle designs, and protects Mazda technologies and the Mazda brand.
- Takes steps to exhaustively investigate as well as prevent and solve any problems regarding intellectual properties that may obstruct business activities in each domain, such as infringement of other parties' patent rights; trademark rights, design rights and copyrights; and violations of the Unfair Competition Prevention Act.
In awareness-raising activities, the Department offers instruction tailored to the management level and position of each employee and executive in Mazda and each Mazda Group company at home and overseas, and to the type of intellectual property in question. In particular, the Department provides administrative staff members instruction on problems of copyright and violation of the Unfair Competition Prevention Act that can arise from the use of the Internet. Thorough awareness-raising efforts are also made for the departments in charge of creating and publishing materials aimed outside the Company in order to prevent intellectual property issues.
In collaboration with related departments, the Intellectual Property Department makes a sustained effort to eliminate imitation products to support and improve the strength of the Mazda brand and its trustworthiness, and to eliminate the risk posed to customers by the purchase of imitations.
- Mazda develops and implements its own measures against the sale of imitation products.
- Mazda actively participates in programs organized by the private and public sectors against imitations.
- Mazda appoints permanent staff from among the members most knowledgeable in intellectual property issues to liaise with countries and regions that are major sources of imitation products. Working with government and other agencies tasked with exposing imitation products, these staff members work to devise measures to stem the flow of such products.
Mazda provides valuable support to its consolidated and Group companies, both in Japan and overseas, in the drafting, organization, and implementation of policies for the handling of intellectual property. In this way, the Company promotes the enhancement of functions for managing intellectual property across the entire Mazda Group.